Monday, October 30, 2006

He did it!

Tyler finished his first (I say first because he may be crazy enough to do another) marathon yesterday! I’m so proud of him, not only for running/finishing the race, but also because he was committed and disciplined enough to train for it for the past three months!

His unofficial time was 3 hrs. and 35 minutes, slightly behind his goal. He ran at about 7 ½ minute mile pace until the 20 mile mark, when he started having bad leg cramps. He sucked it up and finished the last six miles though.





It was a perfect day for running, cool with a bit of sunshine, and the mountainous surroundings were a welcome change from the cityscape we’re used to. I did my best to get some pictures, but it was a bit difficult to pick him out of the thousands of people running (though I should have been better considering he was one of the only non-Korean runners!). The above picture was taken at the 40km mark, about 1.5 miles to go. Wahoo-what a trooper!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tyler:
You look like a dork! Don't I always tell you that???? Wow, I am really impressed and I would have to do some thinking but maybe I ran it in 3:37, I think it was probably 1980 (34 years old). Contrats on a great race.
Dad

Anonymous said...

Hey Tyler, I am proud of you for making it through the whole 26 miles. I might make 26 blocks if I am really rested. Congratulations on a job well done. Love, Mom

Anonymous said...

Tyler,
Congratulations on finishing! I know how hard it is, and I am so proud of you. I am sure we'll have plenty to talk about. Although you finished a full HOUR ahead of my time, I think we can both talk about "the wall". Also, I hope the Gu packs helped get you through!! Congratulations again!!
Love,
Mags

Anonymous said...

Dear Tyler,

I am sure proud of you. I do not see how you finished once you got the leg cramps. It is just wonderful that you took the challenge and trained for the marathon.
Aunt Elaine in Arizona