Thursday, September 25, 2008

Not in Kansas Anymore

It's been just over a week since we left Tyler in Kansas. Owen and I drove down with Tyler's dad (he drove the whole way...15 hours, 900 miles!) to Ft. Riley on Aug. 28. Owen was wonderful in the car. What a trooper! After a few days Tyler's dad flew home and we were able to spend about two weeks together as family. What a blessing it was to have that time before Tyler deployed!

We stayed at an extended stay hotel in a room with a kitchenette. This meant we could make some of Tyler's favorite meals before he left (and also that we didn't have to eat out constantly). Unfortunately, the cramped quarters and thin walls didn't provide an optimal sleeping environment for Owen. Regardless of the lack of sleep and space, we were still thrilled to be together. We spent most of our time just hanging out in the room, in part because it rained A LOT while we were there, but also because there isn't a whole lot to do around there.

On the 16th we said a very tearful goodbye. My mom flew down just to make the drive back with Owen and me (are we loved or what?!). Tyler flew out on the 19th for Kuwait where he'll stay for about a week and a half (doing some more training) before heading to his final location (likely north of Bagdad). We are already counting the days until he'll be home again (he should get R&R in June!). We deeply appreciate all of your prayers and support.

Here are some pictures from our time together...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dana
We have been thinking about you guys so much! I just love all the pics. I love the ones with Owen in Tylers boots! What a handsome boy you have! I know this time is hard but it will go by fast and you two will be together real soon! We pray everyday! Let me know when Tyler has a mailing address!
love dereck and kellyn

CPT K said...

Good luck Tyler.

Thanks for the updates. You guys are wonderful. Owen is a real cutie.

Adam

TB said...

Dana,
I understand LONG distance (not quite as far away as Kuwait but tech definitely seemed a world away) and I want you to remember that you can zip me a line or call ANYTIME! I also know how hard (and joyful) life with babies can be :) We don't have any immediate plans to be up in Cadillac but I will let you know the next time we plan to travel up that way! If you need a break, feel free to join us down here as well! Love, Teresa

Anonymous said...

Dana
Owen is adorable! I love the red hair. The three of you will be in our thoughts and prayers. Maybe Tyler will run into Wendy's husband. Karl headed over in August. I think Tracy's husband, Todd, is there also.
Hang in there! Love, Sheri